Friday, April 10, 2015

The Insanity of Internet Research

Last night I had another gall bladder attack and though not as bad as the one that drove me to the doctor's office, it did keep me awake. With nothing better to do, I grabbed my iPad and researched gall bladder attacks.

This will not surprise a lot of you, but there is a pile of bad medical advice on the net. The first webpage claimed that gall bladder surgery has a high fatality and complication rate and if you want to not go under the knife, you had to buy their expensive products. 

The second site claimed a purge that shoved the stones out of the gall bladder would do the trick using large amounts of Epsom salts and olive oil. I did appreciate that at the end of their article they did say that the procedure could send you to the hospital and might even kill you. It was in the small print way down at the bottom.

Eventually I came to a forum of people who suffered from gall bladder attacks and they shared some of the home remedies that seemed to work. Apple cider vinegar appeared to be a popular remedy and since I always have a bottle of Braggs in the house decided to give it a try. An hour later I was able to fall back asleep.

However, I did do a lot of other reading and I discovered that the symptoms of what was coming started about a year ago, but neither I nor the doctors knew what they were as they mimicked more common problems. 

Now I'm not kicking myself over this because hindsight is always 20/20, but if I had been aware of what was going on, I don't think I would be dealing with the, forgive the pun, gut-wrenching problem I currently endure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as we all grow older, we need to be more aware of the signals our bodies are sending us endeavoring to find a balance between sensitivity to what is going on inside us both physically, mentally, and emotionally without going into hypochondria.

Take good care of yourself today. Tomorrow's pain just isn't worth the stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment