Friday, June 12, 2015

Fiction Books That Profoundly Impacted Me

All my life I have been a voracious reader and for those who know me, to think of me apart from my library is impossible.

In response to a Facebook quorum, I sat for a bit to consider the fiction books that had a profound impact on me, and by profound, I mean that I was a different person when I turned the last page and closed the book.

I think I know what the list is:
  1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis 
  2. Till We Have Faces: A Novel of Cupid and Psyche‎, by C. S. Lewis
  3. Journey to the Center of the Earth, by Jules Verne 
  4. Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand 
If we talk about nonfiction books, I could create a list as well, but that's still a sore spot with me that I am still working through.

I read Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber in 1973/74 and the story of a young abused girl with multiple personality disorder was so moving, I can say the reason I am a pastoral counselor is almost 95% of reading Sybil.

In 2011, journalist Debbie Nathan published an expose revealing the book and its story was primarily a work of fiction. I did not take that well.

In hindsight, I'm delighted that I have helped many people across the wide spectrum of humanity. I just wish my motivation had not been engendered by a massive lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment