Friday, July 3, 2015

The Apple Lady: A Journey Into Dark Poetry

On June 20th and 22nd on this blog, I shared with you two of my poems. As I said, I don't write a lot of poetry, but allow me to share with you one more. The Apple Lady is a dark tale of the fae and a reminder that according to the true legends of the land of fairy, one traffics with them only at grave risk. There are fates worse than death.

I affirm on my honor and integrity that aside from the last stanza, this poem finds its origins in a true childhood event.


The Apple Lady
Alan Loewen
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

The night echoed a choir of crickets
Accented by an aroma of earth.
The moon washed the old orchard clean of color.

He ignored my protests against the chill,
The night, this vigil among the trees.

"Do you believe in wonder?" he asked.
My lie came easily.
"I lack imagination."

"In my twelfth year, " he said,
"I saw her among the trees
Clothed in autumn leaves
Hair red as autumn apples;
Her eyes like autumn frost."

I shook with more than cold.
"We should be home
With beer and friends,
Forget childhood dreams
And childhood lovers."

I left him standing
In moonlight and leaves..

With the rising sun
We found him fused
Into the bark of an old apple tree,
Taken in a wooden embrace,
A gentle smile on his lips.

1 comment:

  1. Very lovely and creepy! Like so much of your work it reminds me of Blackwood and Machen.

    ReplyDelete