Friday, August 14, 2015

The Story of My Children's Book, The Seven Sisters

Does this look like My Little Pony To You?
The first chapter of the The Seven Sisters was written as a gift for two of my nieces many years ago. As it was met with some disfavor, I published it in an amateur fiction magazine for children that same year and as it was then favorably received I continued the story by installments into a full-fledged novel.

Thinking of self-publishing, I then approached my favorite artist in the world, T. Jordan "Greywolf" Peacock, about illustrating the novel for me to which he agreed. The results went beyond all my expectations and you can see all the illustrations here! (And even buy them...wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Over the years, it went through some major revisions and ultimately I sent it to a publisher who agreed to publish it. They were even open to using Peacock's illustrations.

I was ecstatic. The contract I signed set the date and the date came and went. Months went by. The publisher never answered my emails and eventually they broke contract and returned the manuscript to me.

And because the story centered on seven magical ponies and a baby dragon, I was reluctant to publish the story out of fear of being accused of only writing My Little Pony fanfiction. So I sat on the manuscript waiting for My Little Pony to disappear from the collective mind,.

And then My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic was released and became a huge hit and I said, "Oh forget it. let the accusations begin."

The rest is history. And if you want, you can buy this piece of history today by going to your country's Amazon.com and purchasing the paperback or the eBook! The Amazon USA page is here and the Amazon UK page is here.

And because I am such an awesome guy, you can buy it from Amazon Japan here!

No comments:

Post a Comment