Thursday, February 15, 2018

Let Me Show You Some Magic


From 1975 until 1979, half of my annual income came from doing stage magic. Classed as "semi-professional" by the Society of American Magicians, I covered Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey mostly doing shows for nonprofits like churches and libraries. I had the money for a levitation and a guillotine and I had a killer mentalism routine. I also invented an illusion where two audience members cut another audience member in half using thick ropes. I'm retired from magic now, but it doesn't take much to get me to dust off the old props and do a show for a family-friendly nonprofit.

However, I'd like to do a magic trick for you now. Please read the following:
Marie blinked up at the bright pink Martian sky through the protective glassine dome. After a week in transit staring only at white spaceship walls, the sudden expanse gave her a touch of agoraphobia. I wonder if I’ll ever miss blue, she thought. I wonder if I’ll ever care.

“Miss?”

Marie jumped, staring at the customs officer. An android, he was humanoid in form, but clearly a robot. “Y…yes?” she asked.

“Do you have any baggage to declare?”

Marie sighed. “Only these two.” She motioned toward the two small carry-ons at her feet that contained her only possessions. Not to mention the twenty-eight years of baggage I carry in my head.
Now that, Gentle Reader, is my finest illusion. Using only 111 words, in your imagination I transported you to Mars where you have never been and put you into the head of a person you have never met and who doesn't exist. With just five paragraphs, I took you out of your reality and plopped you into one I created.

I have racked up some really nice magic shows. I have left audiences dumbfounded and I have received accolades and awe for my illusions. However, all of that is nothing compared to what I just performed for you right here on your computer/tablet screen.

This is why I love writing for you. This is why I write solely for entertainment. I don't want to change your life. I don't want to pound any philosophy into your head using my work as a bully pulpit.

I just want to do a magic show for you.

So hang on. I've done some nice shows for you in the past, but I'm working on some doozies. Stay tuned.


3 comments:

  1. You have done great feats of Magic for us, and Venues like Coventry House and Yew Manor, but with this post, I am getting the memory from a cartoon movie called Wizards. where the last line was Let Me show you a magic trick that Mom showed me when you weren't around. (pulls out a pistol and simply shoots the bad guy) I do pray that you will continue to entertain us, whether on Mars, Narnia or any other place you may conjure up. and just because I am rudely biased, and a Last Unicorn fan, hope you make the U&G tales as a series, to rival Calahan's Crosstime Saloon. with a Unicorn as one of the attendant barteders

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing but I have to admit that your flaming bunny trick is the best illusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only five people who know of that unique misadventure of my stage magic career. Now I must discover who you are because the hush money was supposed to buy silence. :-P

      Delete