Thursday, August 9, 2018

My Foray Into Tai Chi

Today I started my first class of a ten-week venture into learning tai chi at a local health studio in Mt. Holly Springs, Pennsylvania.. This has been on my bucket list for well over a decade and I confess I was somewhat apprehensive as the venture pushed me well past my comfort zone as a borderline introvert.

But I'm delighted to say the first hour exceeded my expectations with a very patient teacher who is teaching a variant of the Sun (pronounced "soon") style that is excellent for people like me with arthritis and balance challenges. The teacher, Carole Posavec, studied under Dr. Paul Lam and he has educational videos on YouTube, the first of which you can see here. One of fourteen students present, I was certainly not alone as I imitated the teacher's moves as she demonstrated the first two basic moves of six.

Carole's Bio


The class will run into October, meeting every Thursday from noon until 1. 

The first basic move
Allow me to say that at the end of the class, though the movements were slow, calm, and relaxed, I felt I had quite the workout. 

At the end of the first class, the instructor demonstrated the entire form, a beautiful and intricate kata. It will be interesting to see if I can master it.












No comments:

Post a Comment