Friday, October 16, 2020

The États-Unis de France (Inktober, Friday, October 9, 2020)

For Inktober, Friday, October 9, 2020. Prompt word: "throw." Tuckerization: Michael Harder 
A reminder that volunteering for tuckerization only means a character in the story shares the participant's name. Other than that, there are no other similar characteristics implied. 

The États-Unis de France 
by Alan Loewen 
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 




From the journal of Michael Harder: 

It is assumed that if you throw the switch to visit a parallel universe that you would also have a reliable means to return to your homeworld of origin. Unfortunately, in my situation, that was not the case. 

It was somewhat a surprise to find myself in the États-Unis de France, but this is, after all, a parallel universe where the tides of history flow differently. The more incredible surprise—more of a shock actually—is that my mechanism for returning to my own world had fried in the transition. Sadly, this world does not have the technology to repair my device. 

I find myself in a world where the New World was colonized mostly by the French, eventually purchasing land from other countries or driving them out when territorial tempers flared. 

There was no war of liberation from the mother country. When France underwent the horrors of the French Revolution, the resulting bloodbath allowed the French colonies to declare independence without much protest. 

Sadly, World War I still occurred, and like my own world, Germany lost the War to End All Wars. However, in my world, hostilities ceased after four hellish years. In this universe, the conflicts dragged on for almost a decade, leaving a Europe so exhausted and devastated that World War II never materialized. Without that impetus for technological advancement, atomic bombs and other weapons of war and the advancements they gave birth never had the chance for development. 

So, I spend my days debating metaphysics in the bistros of Nouveau Paris with the intellectuals of the day, making our points over steaming cups of strong French coffee. 

However, not all is perfect. 

This universe still has mimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment