Thursday, October 19, 2017

Blade Runner 2049: A Review

Let me start out by clearly stating that I very much enjoyed Blade Runner 2049 and it is a worthy sequel to the 1982 film.
I can see why the public has panned Blade Runner 2049 and it is not doing well at the theater:
  • The public is tired of dystopia movies.
  • The movie is almost three hours long.
  • You have to pay careful attention to the plot line as it is rather convoluted with a number of significant red herrings.
However, I very much liked it. I thought the acting top notch, the story was great, and the cinematography was amazing.

The story follows a Blade Runner known only as Joe chasing down a rogue Nexus 8 replicant. This is not a spoiler as it is revealed immediately that Joe himself is a Nexus 9 replicant. In the ensuing investigation, Joe and the LAPD discover a body buried on the property that makes an amazing revelation about the Nexus 8s that changes all that was known about replicants.

I did not like the unnecessary nudity and MILD SPOILER ALERT, I thought the bizarre scene where Joe's holographic girlfriend superimposed herself over a "lady of the evening" was simply silly. (to see the script, hold down the right mouse button and run the cursor over the blackened text)

I was not aware the director of Blade Runner 2049 made three short videos to lay the groundwork for the film. I wish I had seen them before viewing the movie. Be aware these videos are NOT for children and the squeamish as they contains scenes of blood and violence. The films are:
  • Black Out 2022 when Nexus 8 replicants create a global EMP in a struggle for freedom.
  • 2036: Nexus Dawn is 14 years later when the ban against creating replicants is lifted opening the door for Nexus 9 models that must obey Asimov's Three Laws.
  • 2048: Nowhere to Run takes place a year before the film introducing one of the characters that appears in the opening scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment