Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Question for Numismatists with Experience in Chinese Coins


Last weekend I was delighted to pick up a beautiful coin from the Western Han Dynasty. Called a whu zhu or 5 zhu coin, the above is quite a nice specimen.

Notice the crescent mark below the open square. Also, called a half moon or fingernail mark, according to my research, the symbol marks the coin as one of the earlier minted coins, but I could be wrong. If anybody reading this has any knowledge of ancient Chinese coins or could forward this entry to somebody who might know, I would be grateful for any insight as to its approximate age and what purpose, if any, the crescent symbol may have represented as not all whu zhu coins are marked.

Please respond in the comments section or you may email me at magic.by.alan AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment