Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Let Me Teach You How To Write Your Memoirs

I teach a two-hour class on how to write and publish memoirs and every time I have led it, the class was well attended and well received.

The reason I do so is because there are so many people who are leaving us with their stories untold, stories of how they survived heartache and hardship and how they overcame difficulties and roadblocks, simple yet dramatic stories of survival and victory. 

Many years ago I visited an elderly man who told me a story of his time in war-torn Italy as World War II began drawing to a close. Calmly, almost if talking about the weather, he told of an attack by the enemy as he and his unit marched down a road. 

He was the only survivor. "Since that day," he said, "I have treasured every day of my life. My life was given to me that day as a gift and I live it like that."

I begged him to write the story down, but he was a humble man and didn't think anybody else would be interested. At my insistence, he promised to scratch out a page or two.

I regret to say in less than a week, I officiated at his funeral, his story unwritten.

Now, when I officiate at a graveside funeral, most people see a silent city of the dead. I see God's library, each stone representing one of more stilled voices whose wisdom I will never hear.

So now I teach a class on how to write memoirs.


I would very much love to come to your library, retirement home, house of worship, or other social, community, or fraternal organization to encourage and teach on how to write one's life story for posterity. All you have to do is drop me a line at magic.by.alan@gmail.com

But don't wait forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment