Saturday, October 13, 2018

#WIPJOY #13/14

How does writing The Shrine War make me stronger?

When I was first asked my Fred Patten to write a story for his anthology, Dogs of War, we talked about various ideas until I came up with the idea of a group of kitsune shrine maidens defending their shrine against an invading force of Inugami

It was when the idea and proposal solidified, I then realized that my ability to write the story was hindered by an almost complete ignorance of Japan, its mythologies, and Shinto, its national religion.

I spent countless hours in research, pouring over books and Internet articles, reading everything I could get my hands on. The end result is that my library on Japan is formidable and the resulting knowledge has enriched me greatly to the point I now wish to visit Japan and walk the areas that in my story exist only in my imagination.

Also, writing is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger you get.

Want to be a good writer? First write at least 500,000 words of garbage. No matter how untalented you are, you do get better. Believe me. I speak as a satisfied customer, not as a paid salesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment