Saturday, October 6, 2018

The Hunting of the Snark Is Becoming A Movie!

The Hunting of the Snark (An Agony in 8 Fits) was a nonsense poem written in 1876 by Lewis Carroll of Alice in Wonderland fame and I remember the impact it had on me when I read it as a child. For me, the illustrations provided by artist Henry Holiday added a dimension of surreal horror that has stayed with me for years and paradoxically, I have always adored the poem for its portrayal of another universe where the rules don't work the same as here.

Think I jest about the illustrations? Take a gander.
However, I just received word that British film director, Simon Davison, is starting an Indiegogo campaign to turn the poem into a motion picture and I am beside myself with excitement.

If done correctly, it will be a masterpiece of sheer terror and odd, yet completely captivating, beauty. 


If you would like to read the poem, you can enjoy it (sadly without the illustrations) here

Though the requested funds are only $13 American dollars, personal finances are rather tight at the moment. However, I come into a little disposable income late November and eagerly look forward to supporting this enterprise.

4 comments:

  1. May the film be all you hope it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the 1st Snark movie project.

    I keep watching the Snark movie projects out there. However, my blog articles http://snrk.de/category/artforms/movie don't provide a complete overview of all Snark movies. It's just about the projects which I like. In 2026 the Snark will celebrate it's 150th birthday. Let's see how much movies will be available by then.

    By the way, Simon Davidson doesn't use Indiegogo for funding the movie. It's more like an offer to pre-order copies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://snrk.de/snarkhunt/ is the poem *with* Henry Holiday's illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the info. It's a pity Michael McNeff didn't get the needed funds. I liked what I saw.

    ReplyDelete